Skin – the largest organ in the body.
It’s what protects our insides from outside extremes, such as temperature fluctuations and helps us retain water. Skin helps keep infections out and acts as a barrier to dangerous chemicals. It also manufactures vitamin D which helps convert calcium into healthy bones.
In short, the health of our skin affects the health of our entire body.
So it makes you wonder – why would we do less than nourish it properly?
Why would we ever put anything on our skin that is less than healthy for us?
One of the wonders of skin is that it evolves, just as we do. Skin is constantly changing and, in fact, we shed roughly 40,000 skin cells per minute which means it totally renews itself about once every 35 days.
And that is great news because that means that even if your skin is less than healthy right now, you have the opportunity to change that within a very short period of time.
From the Inside Out – Basics for Healthier Skin
Some of the basics to skin care health which you are probably aware of include protecting yourself from the sun, not smoking, getting enough sleep and exercise.
And in case you didn’t know, be aware of how much hot water you bathe in – many of us adore our long leisurely soaks in a tub (when we have the time) but be aware that long hot soaks or showers can remove precious oils from our skin. Warm water is gentler than hot on your skin.
Of course eating the right foods is also key to great skin health.
Eat more fruit, eat less refined sugar – many sugars (like sugar cane sugar) aggravates the magnesium in your body which makes it harder for your skin and body to stay healthy.
Eat the right chocolate – dark chocolate has great health benefits (it’s the added sugar in many chocolates that are bad for you). Dark chocolate is filled with antioxidants, helps control blood sugar and is high in many vitamins and minerals.
But ultimate skin care health is about more than the basics – it’s about balance.
Beyond the Basics – a Balanced Life is Key for Great Skin Health
Giving yourself a lifestyle that supports glowing healthy skin is going to come from a combination of using your common sense, good habits, and doses of science and creativity.
Balance is about the right combination of heart, mind, body and spirit, and it requires some personal experimentation because the proper balance is unique to each person. If you are tuned into yourself you’ll know when you’re out of balance because illness sets in, you’ll be unhappy, or you’ll feel generally out of sorts or irritable.
To help you develop and maintain balance here are a few steps to follow:
- Reflect – as they say, acknowledging a problem is more than half the battle so spend enough time thinking about your life so you can recognise where you may need to make some changes.
- Think Internal and External – as you reflect, think in terms of both internal and external balance. Internal includes areas such as your mind and body health and external will include your work and family, your social life and having fun. Are you doing too much internal work and not enough external? Do you meditate a lot but never go out and have some fun? Remember, balance.
- Create Goals – when you do become aware of imbalances create a few easy goals that will help you develop areas that are low on your attention scale and to cut back on areas which take more than their fair share of you.
- Be Kind to Yourself – as women, we tend to be very hard on ourselves. Remember, kindness counts, especially when it’s from you to you.
- Connect and Empower – friends matter and when we develop our personal network in the right way it gives us a great avenue to being empowered and empowering others. When you are being hard on yourself have a friend tell you how great you are. It’s important to have others to talk about your inner struggles and to celebrate how far you’ve come, and how far you’re going to go.
Your personal proper balance is what will give you what you need for great health and happiness, which quite naturally leads to that glowing supple skin which we all love.
On a final note, don’t overdo your skincare routine. Keep it straightforward and effective with more natural products. Organic is important as the last thing you should want is to put products on your skin that contain trace pesticides and such. If you’re looking to try something new for your skin routine that is more healthful consider products in our Organic ILLUMINATING RANGE.
We work hard to create products that contribute to your health rather than creating products which would introduce unwanted chemicals onto your skin.
True to our company mission of exploring nature's role in your beauty, our ILLUMINATING RANGE is formulated from the essence of nature using ORGANIC ingredients to bring to you only the best for your skin.
You can try 'Free' samples of the ILLUMINATING RANGE before you buy by clicking below